Federal child porn case nets 10-years in jail
SAN ANTONIO—A 44-yearold Rockdale man received 10-year federal prison sentence for possession of child pornography last week.
U. S. Weste rn District Judge Walter Smith ordered Sanchez to also pay a $1,000 fine and be placed under supervised release for eight years after completing his prison term.
Sanchez was arrested last Oct. 14 at his Rockdale home after the Texas Attorney General's Office asked Rockdale police to serve a federal warrant in connection with an Internet sting being run by a New Mexico cyber crimes unit.
Curry County New Mexico Undersheriff Wesley Waller told the Clovis News-Journal the department was using a decoy Internet profile and alleged a man in Rockdale was attempting to solicit sex from someone he believed was an underage child.
"I believe they told us the officer had been posing as a 13- year-old girl," Rockdale Police Chief Thomas Harris said.
The warrant alleged four counts of child solicitation on the Internet and was a federal offense because the alleged action crossed a state line.
Harris said police went to Sanchez's home, 1503 Murray, to serve the warrant.
Investigators said the suspect was logged into the fake profile used by the New Mexico sheriff's department.
Harris said during the raid a large amount of child pornography was seized.
According to the U. S. Attorney's Office, a subsequent forensic examination of the defendant's personal computer and related media revealed the presence of more than 7,400 images and more than 80 videos "depicting minors engaged in sexually explicit conduct."
That led to the child pornography charges on which Sanchez was eventually convicted.
Sanchez, who was a former Clovis resident, was a registered sex offender, Harris said.
On Oct. 19, 2001, when Sanchez was under military jurisdiction, he was convicted of indecent acts with a child, involving a 15-year-old girl, and possession of child pornography.
He was assessed a two-year sentence and Sanchez was entered into the Department of Public Safety's sex offender database.
The Attorney General's Cyber Crimes Unit became involved with the investigation in August. 2008.
Assistant U. S. Attorney Greg Goff prosecuted the case for the government.