Courthouse re-dedication ceremony set July Fourth
In a Fourth of July ceremony beginning at 10 a.m., the 117-year-old courthouse will be declared a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, the eighth such honor for a Milam location.
Keynote speaker will be Stan Graves, a native of Sharp, a fourth generation Milam County resident and the director of architecture for the THC.
Graves will describe the state's Courthouse Preservation Program and discuss preservation efforts available to counties from the THC.
Also speaking will be Joy Graham, past chair of the Milam County Historical Commission, which sponsors Saturday's event. She served on both phases of the courthouse restoration effort and was chairperson of Phase 2.
Following restoration to its Victorian Era glory, the courthouse was re-dedicated on July 4, 2002. Its original dedication had been 110 years earlier, on July 4, 1892.
The Recorded Texas Historic Landmark marker will be unveiled by Milam County Historical Commission co-chairs Geri Burnett and Dr. Dee Dee Green and Jackie Thornton, marker chair for the commission.