News

NEWSBRIEFS

City workers put out fire, save nearby home

Workers at the city's water plant Tuesday afternoon spotted a nearby grass fire and extinguished it just a few feet from a home, using their feet to stamp out part of the blaze.

The fire was reported at 1:12 p.m. by the crew which used a city waterworks truck to knock down most of the blaze, according to David Akin, Public Works director.

The city crew included Joseph Montelongo, Rudy Vasquez, Wayne Hubnik and Davie Allen.

'Kung Fu Panda' Kay Theatre film Thursday

The animated film "Kung Fu Panda" will be the free movie Thursday on the Kay Theatre grounds.

Movie times are "around dusk," and viewers should bring lawn chairs or blankets to sit on. A snack bar will be available and organizers will "pass the hat" to help raise funds for the theater's restoration.

The Kay is located in the 300 block of North Main Street.

Three checked over after area accidents

Three persons were checked over at area hospitals after a pair of Rockdale-area accidents during the past week, according to Trooper Ernest Delbosque.

He said a vehicle driven by Curtis Foster, 19, of Rockdale, left CR 304 at 7:20 a.m. Saturday and ran through a fence.

Passengers Kaitlynne Schneer and Brandon Stutts, both 19 of Rockdale, were checked over at Little River Medical Center.

Driver Stanley Kolbasenski, 46 of Bryan, was treated at Scott & White Hospital, Temple, after a motorcycle accident at 4 p.m. Saturday on FM 487, 1.8 miles south of Rockdale, Delbosque said.

Worker treated after Sandow job accident

A worker whose name was not released was treated and released at Scott & White Hospital, Temple, after an industrial accident at the Sandow 5 job site July 8.

Bechtel/Becon officials said the man was struck a glancing blow to the neck and shoulder by a formation of sand and coal being removed from a boiler unit.

The Rockdale Volunteer Fire Department responded to the worksite at 6:48 p.m.

County okays voting machines upgrade

CA MERON—Milam Count y commissioners, meeting Monday in the courthouse, okayed an upgrade to the county's electronic voting machines costing more than $4,000. Commissioners were told the upgrade would be valid through the 2012 presidential election.

Two-year-old child drowns in family pool

LEXINGTON—A two-year-old boy drowned Saturday in a family pool on FM 1624 near Lexington.

Maysen Campbell was pronounced dead on arrival after being f lown to Dell Children's Medical Center in Round Rock.

Investigators said the boy's grandfather, Kenneth Campbell, was cleaning the pool so Maysen and a sibling could use it, and had not seen the boy for about 10 minutes when he spotted the child, who was wearing floaties, floating in the deep end.

Kenneth Campbell performed CPR and emergency crews rushed to the scene.


Click here for digital edition
2009-07-16 digital edition



The burn ban for Milam County has been lifted. Burning is always prohibited in the county's municipalities.


Click here to register for the 5 Kay!