5 indicted for rural vandalism
Five Rockdale residents, charged with 25 acts of vandalism in South Milam County during two nights in March, were indicted Thursday by a Milam County grand jury.
Charged with two counts of felony criminal mischief ($1,500 to $20,000) were 19-year-old Allen Bayer and Jay Tanner Grayson and Francisco Diaz, both 20.
Ezzard Everage Jr., 21, was charged with one count of felony criminal mischief ($1,500 to $20,000).
Jacob Nink, 19, was charged with one count of felony criminal mischief ($1,500 to $20,000) and one count of cruelty to animals.
Investigators Jay Beathard and Chris White determined 25 acts of vandalism had been committed south of Rockdale March 9 and 10 near FM 908 and along County Roads 319, 320, 322, 324, 325, 330 and 428.
Sheriff David Greene said the animal cruelty charge was the result of a dog being shot off CR 320.
White said the break in the case came when Rockdale Police Ofc. Brian Lightfoot and Deputy Sheriff Josh Clouse stopped a pickup containing five persons which matched the description of a vehicle observed at the dog shooting site.
White said investigators believed the pickup was also the vehicle involved in the criminal mischief spree and obtained detailed confessions from the vehicle's occupants.
Greene said road signs and private fences were damaged or destroyed.
All five turned themselves in and were freed after posting bond of $5,000 per count.
A 16 -year-old juvenile was charged with misdemeanor criminal mischief and that case was turned over to juvenile authorities, the sheriff said.
Spears said other indictments included:
• Louis D. Byrd, 28, Belton, possession of a controlled substance (less than one gram), driving while intoxicated (third or more offense).
• Billy Clark Bennett, 36, Rockdale, retaliation.
• Ryan Robert Sessions, 23, Granger, assault family violence, enhanced.
• Christopher Demon Johnson, 27, Cameron, prohibited substance in a correctional facility.
• James Orvil Shafer, 36, Cameron, possession of a controlled substance (200 to 400 grams), with intent to deliver, in a correctional facility.
• Darron Wayne Knight, 29, Cameron, tampering with evidence, enhanced; possession of a controlled substance (4 to 200 grams), enhanced.
• Jimmy Lee Simmons, 25, Cameron, failure to appear.
• Brandon Hubbs, 22, Cameron, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle; evading arrest with a motor vehicle.
• Ernest David Thumann, 64, Houston, driving while intoxicated with passenger under 15.
• Eric Mayberry, 32, Rockdale, was re-indicted for possession of a controlled substance (1 to 4 grams) with intent to deliver.