Rockdale Fair Home Ec just around the corner
By CHERYL WALKER Milam County AgriLife Extension Agent The Rockdale Fair is just around the corner — Oct. 15, 16 and 17. You have an opportunity to show off your talents in a number of categories in the Home Economics Division.
There is no entry fee for the Home Economics department.
Rockdale Fair Home Economics Division activities are conducted at the New Salem Club House in Fair Park in Rockdale. Here is the schedule for the Home Economics Department.
• Check-in For Home Economics entries: Everything except food—Wednesday, Oct. 14 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. and Thursday, Oct. 15 9 a.m. to 12-noon. All food entries —Friday, Oct. 16, 8 to 10 a.m.
• Judging of Home Economics entries: Thursday, Oct. 15, 12 to 3 p.m., all entries except foods; Friday, Oct. 16, 10 a.m. to 12- noon, all foods entries.
• Home Economics entries open for public viewing: Thursday, Oct. 15, 3 to 5 p.m.; Friday, Oct. 16, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Saturday, Oct. 17, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Picture Time For Winners: Friday, Oct. 16, 1:30 p.m. Pictures of Best of Show in each age division and pictures of Grand and Reserve Champion winners in Each Age Division.
Winners w ill be posted in the New Salem Building by 12- noon.
Here is a list ing of Home Economics entries that will be entered all day Wednesday and on Thursday morning:
Afghan, Artistic Arrangement Canned Food, Christmas Craft, Clothing, Collection, Creative Arts & Crafts, Folk Art, Handwork, Homemade Wine, Horticulture, Needlework, Painting, Photography, Pictures, Porcelain Produce, Quilt I—machine quilted (any size), Quilt II—hand quilted (any size), Scrapbooking, Woodworking.
Here is a listing of the Food entries that are entered on Friday by 10 a.m.: Baked Goods, Diabetic Baked Goods, Decorated Cake.
Here are the general guidelines for the Rockdale Fair Home Economics Department.
1. The Fair is open to all Milam County residents.
2.Age divisions: Beginners, ages 5-7; Junior, ages 8-11; Intermediates, ages 12-13; Seniors, ages 14-18; Adults, 19 and above.
3. All exhibits must have been completed since last Rockdale Fair.
4. All exhibits must be made by the exhibitors themselves.
5. All exhibits will be scored and ribbons awarded as follows for each age division:
• Each division can have one grand champion and one reserve champion selected from 1st place winners in the division. The judges will determine if divisions are worthy of grand and reserved awards.
• Classes in each division will receive ribbons for 1st through 5th places.
• If a class has more than 5 entries, other entries will receive a participation ribbon.
• A Be st of Show Win ner will be selected from the Grand Champions in each age division.
6. Cash awards will be provided by the New Salem Extension Education Association Club are follows:
• Beginner, Junior, Intermediate, and Senior Grand Champion winners will receive $15 each.
• Beginner, Junior, Intermediate, and Senior Reserve Champion winners will receive $10 each.
• No cash awards will be provided to Baked Goods, Diabetic Baked Goods and Decorated Cakes for any age group. No cash awards will be provided to Adult Grand and Reserve Champion winners.
7. Entry forms will be available at the time of registration or prior to the show from: Marilyn Hicks, chairman (512) 446-2704; Milam County Extension Office, located at 100 East 1st. St., Cameron, (254) 697-7045; or Milam County Extension website http:// milam-co.tamu.edu.
Pre-registration is not required for Rockdale Fair Home Economics Division Entries.
8. Participants may enter one entry per class. (Example: You may enter one bread, one cake, one cookie, one candy, one pie and one miscellaneous entry for a total of six entries in the Baked Goods Division.)
9. All entries must be checked in and checked out at the assigned times.
10. Every precaution will be taken to protect articles entered, but in no case will the Rockdale Fair Association or the New Salem Extension Education Association be responsible for loss, damage, theft or breakage or for other forms of loss.
11. Judges will not award a prize to any unworthy exhibit.
12. Pictures of Best of Show, Grand and Reserve Champion winners will be taken at 1:30 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 16.
Auction and baked foods division
4-H'ers and FFA members can enter the Auction Baked Foods Division at the Rockdale Fair. Entry forms and fees must be received by the Milam County Extension Office, AG Science Teacher or Barbara Walko no later than Friday, Sept. 25.
If you submit your entry on time, then you bring your food item and recipe to check-in on Friday, Oct. 16 from 8 to 10 a.m. at the New Salem Building on the Rockdale Fair Grounds. There are non-auction items being checked-in at the same time, so it is your responsibility to make sure you check-in at the Auction's Baked Foods Division.
By Saturday, Oct. 17, we will know which entries will be auctioned. If your entry will not be in the auction, you can pick it up from Barbara Walko between 8 and 10 a.m. on Oct. 17. All items left after 10 a.m. will be donated to the fair.
If you have questions, contact Barbara Walko at 512- 446-6035 or the Milam County Extension Office at 254-697- 7045. Entry forms and rules are on the Milam County Extension website at http://milamco. tamu.edu.