Substitute healthier fare for holiday favorites
Holiday gat her ings of ten revolve around food. Big dinners with the family might get all the attention, but even office parties or casual get-togethers can focus on food.
Unfortunately, many of these treats are loaded with fat, sugar and calories. Try these tips to still indulge in the holiday spirit without packing on extra pounds.
• Instead of a cracker with cheese, try a plain reduced fat cracker.
• Instead of egg nog, try white wine.
• Instead of cocktail meatballs, try boiled shrimp.
• Instead of fruitcake, tr y dried apricots.
• Instead of a slice of ham, try a slice of turkey without the skin.
• Instead of pumpkin or apple pie, try a slice of angel food cake.
• Instead of a cup of New England clam chowder or cream of mushroom soup, try a cup of vegetable or tomato soup.
• Instead of a side of stuffing, try a scoop of white or brown rice or mashed potatoes.
• Instead of a piece of fried chicken, try a piece of fish or baked chicken.