News

Rockdale home damaged in Saturday fire

FIRE CALLS

A Rockdale home was damaged in a Saturday night fire which filled the house with smoke and was hard to reach for firefighters, according to the home owner.

Volunteers were dispatched to the Joe Wayne Cleveland family home, 969 North Wilcox, at 8:23 p.m. Saturday.

“We woke up and the house was full of smoke,” Cleveland said. “It was something in between an outside and inside brick wall.”

Cleveland said the fire itself was not large but firefighters were hampered in getting to the blaze.

“The finally had to tear out the wall to get to the fire,” he said.

Neither firefighters nor the home owner were sure how the blaze started.

“It could have been a spark from the heater or it could have been an electrical problem,” Cleveland said.

“We didn’t have to leave the home, or anything like that,” he added. “We went back in after the firemen left.”

Other fire calls dispatched from the Rockdale Police Station to area VFDs during the past week included:

• 10:49 a.m. Thursday, fire alarm, Alligator Creek Ranch, false alarm, Milano VFD.

• 11:33 p.m. Thursday, smell of smoke, 1040 West Cameron (US 79), traced to television set, Rockdale VFD.

• 9:06 a.m. Tuesday, fire alarm, CR 313, alarm set off when pest control application was being sprayed, no fire, Rockdale VFD.


Click here for digital edition
2010-01-21 digital edition



The burn ban for Milam County has been lifted. Burning is always prohibited in the county's municipalities.


Special Sections


Special Sections
Archive