Commentary

Tracy Methodist served community 85 years

This is the second in a twopart series on the Tracy community.

Nestled in a group of trees and wild grasses and weeds, sits the forlorn old church building that once housed Tracy Methodist Church. It is one of the few church buildings left in Milam County.

In 1899, the Methodist Episcopal Church granted a donation for building the church on one acre of land along FM 487 north of Rockdale and south of Sharp.

Men in the community helped construct the church. It was a typical A-frame building on piers with windows on both sides. In those early days, men sat on one side of the church and women and children on the opposite side, divided by a center aisle.

No air conditioning cooled the building, the best one could have was a paper fan during the hot summer months. A wood heater was located near the front altar or preaching pulpit. First pastor was Rev. Crutchfield.

Tracy Methodist joined Tracy Baptist and Tracy Christian Churches for brush arbor revivals. Circuit riding preachers, would ride a horse, carrying a bible and a change of clothes.

Tracy Methodist served that community from 1899 through 1984 when the membership dwindled down to 19 church members. Although it was grouped with many other Methodist churches in the Bryan District the church was never without a pastor for 85 years.

In 1917 the Young Peoples Class had 19 members. Old church pictures show the class fully decked out in their Sunday best. The young women wore hats and their best dress and the young men wore their Sunday best, some in their black suits. Teacher was Addie Laird.

When FM 487 was rerouted away from the church property, it was left in a grove of trees. A church once the mainstay of Tracy Community now closed.

marygraham99@hotmail.com


Click here for digital edition
2010-06-10 digital edition



The burn ban for Milam County has been lifted. Burning is always prohibited in the county's municipalities.


Click here to register for the 5 Kay!