100 YEARS AGO....
Former Texas Ranger, and Milam County’s sheriff from 1850 to 1852, Moses Aldridge died at age 89.
From an uncredited Reporter story: “We are tired of people asking us ‘where is Rockdale/” It’s not the place where Sam Bass was killed!” (Round Rock)
Constable Tom Waller warned area residents to “stop taking sand out of the Milano-Rockdale road down by the SA&AP stock pens.”
“Master Vilas Kennon had raised a four-legged chicken.” (Chances are good Master Vilas was related to Reporter Editor R.W.H. Kennon.
FORTY YEARS AGO....
Congressman W. R. “Bob” Poage (D-Waco) pledged his help in solving Richards Clinic & Hospital’s problems w ith Medicare requirements.
A 900-signature petition in support of the hospital, and emphasizing that Rockdale was planning a new hospital, was being presented to area elected officials.
City council members discussed drainage requirements for the new Kubiak Addition.
The first truckload of watermelons from Milam County growers went out, according to grower/shipper A. N. Graham. TWENTY YEARS AGO....
A 1.5-inch midsummer rain was a blessing to area farmers and the Rockdale Volunteer Fire Department, which had been answering one grass fire alarm per day during July.
Businessman Ralph Walters Jr. was attacked in his convenience store parking lot and robbed of the day’s receipts.
Vickie Caffey, RHS science teacher, and student Brad Fritz were working at NASA’s Houston headquarters in an educational workshop.
Tiger Field was getting new metal halide lights atop its 90- foot poles as trustees accepted the low bid of a Bellville company.
TEN YEARS AGO....
In a complicated legal move, the Rockdale Hospital District was “taking itself to court” as part of an attempt to hold an Aug. 12 election seeking to raise its property tax cap to 50 cents.
Minor damage was reported in a fire on the roof of the Rockdale High School gym which was in the midst of having air conditioning installed.
School trustees approved a $1,200 pay raise for Rockdale ISD teachers.
Arson was suspected when a vacant building, with a legend as a “haunted house” burned on County Road 429.