Keeping up with grandkids is the good exerciseI spent an enjoyable—but busy—day with great grandson Reese and I am ready for beddy-bye. Just when I was thinking how out of shape I am, one of my dear friends sent me this email about “exercise” for goodness sake!
• The only reason I would take up walking is so that I could hear heavy breathing again.
• I have to walk in the morning before my brain figures out what I’m doing.
• I joined a health club last year, spent about $400 bucks. Haven’t lost a pound. Apparently you have to go there.
• Every time I hear the word “exercise,” I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
• If you are going to try cross-country skiing, start with a small country.
• We all get heavier as we get older, because there’s a lot more information in our heads. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. (That also serves as a good excuse for when you can’t remember something.)
Actually, I think keeping up with Reese and my other grand boys is the most fun exercise.
I love this salad and when it was served at our dear friend, Anna Duncum’s, aka Mimi, birthday party (she’s still 39 if you have to know) I got the recipe from Margo Gilless.
It’s a good one for summer too because you can take advantage of the fresh tomatoes, peppers and onions and you can make it ahead also.
Mix and bake 2 packages of cornbread mix according to directions on the package.
Cook 1 package of bacon to a crisp and crumble
chop fine 2 medium bell peppers and 1 onion
Chop 3 medium tomatoes
Crumble the cooked cornbread and add broken pieces of bacon, peppers, onion and tomatoes.
Add 1 quart real mayonnaise and mix well.
Salad may be stored in refrigerator for two days.
Optional: 2 stalks of celery, chopped fine and/or 4 cups craisins
Margo also sent this note about a delicious pork loin made by her son Eric from Houston. I love it when young men cook.
Mexican Pork Loin
Slice a large pork loin enough to stuff with cream cheese. Tie together with cooking string.
Place in a slow cooker and cover with picante sauce. Cook on slow for 8 hours. This will just fall apart and is totally delicious and so easy.