School start is vaccination timeSchool bells will ring soon and now is the time to prepare to update your children’s immunizations for the 2010-11 school year.
Parents of students who will enter kindergarten and 7th grade should pay special attention to the additional vaccine requirements. Please be aware that students without the required immunizations or a valid exemption will not be allowed to attend school.
The vaccine requirements for students entering kindergarten through 12th grade should be as follows:
• 3 to 5 doses of diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis (DTaP/ DTP/DT/Td).
• 3 to 4 doses of polio.
• 2 doses of measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR).
• 3 doses of hepatitis B.
• 1 to 2 doses of varicella.
• 1 booster dose of tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (Tdap) 10 years after the last dose of tetanus-diphtheria-containing vaccine.
Additional vaccine requirements for students entering kindergarten, 1st grade, 7th grade, and 8th grade:
• 2 doses of hepatitis A for students entering K – 1st Grade.
• 2 doses of varicella for students entering K – 1st and 7th – 8th grade.
• 1 booster dose of tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (Tdap) for students entering 7th grade, if at least 5 years have passed since the last dose of tetanus-diphtheria-containing vaccine.
• 1 dose of meningococcal for students entering 7th–8th grade.
If you need any assistance in determining whether your child has the proper immunizations or which vaccines are needed for your child for the 2010-11 school year, please contact the Milam County Health Department or visit the website of www.immunizetexas. com and click on the “School and Childcare Requirements” link.
The Milam Count y Healt h Department would like to stress the importance of getting these required vaccines at the earliest possible time, to avoid the back-to-school immunization rush. To help with the back to school immunizations, the Milam County Health Department has hired additional staff so that our clinics in Cameron and Rockdale will be open four days a week during the month of August.
The Cameron Clinic will be open Monday thru Thursday from 8am till 5pm and the Rockdale Clinic will be open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., closed for lunch 12-1 p.m. In addition to extra times, the Milam County Health Department w ill be open for late clinic on the first Monday of every month at the Cameron Clinic located at 209 South Houston St. The clinic will be open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. So let’s be prepared for school and vaccinate early.
The Milam Count y Healt h Department would like to wish all students a wonderful school year and to be protected against all of these diseases and have a productive 2010-11 school year.
Health Department • Local hours—Tues. & Thurs., 9 a.m.-noon & 1-4:30 p.m. • Phone—Rockdale office: 512-446-4026. Cameron office: 254-697-7039. • Web site: www.milamhealth. com.
Provides immunizations, TB tests, a well-child clinic, septic inspections, vision and hearing screenings, blood pressure checks, diabetes screening, STD tests, indigent health care applications, food handlers inspections.