Downtown Association to sponsor ‘Christmas in Olde Town’ here Dec. 11
Rockdale Downtown Association will sponsor “Christmas in Olde Town,” a tour of eight historic, decorated homes in the Puddin’ Ridge neighborhood near downtown.
The tour will be held from 2 until 6 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 11 and will also feature a tour of St. Thomas Episcopal Church, 302 E. Davilla Street where refreshments and live entertainment will be provided.
The eight homes on the tour a re w it hin a few block s of St. Thomas Episcopal, where refreshments and entertainment will be part of the tour.
Tickets for the tour will be $10 and may be purchased at Finley Art Works in the P.H. Perry Building, 229 North Main Street; and Dyess Insurance Agency, 134 North Main Street.
Tickets may also be purchased on the day of the event at St. Thomas Episcopal Church.
“We are proud to feature three new homes, as well as some old favorites, for this year’s tour,” said Bernie Finley, Downtown Association spokesman.
Stops on the tour will include:
• Sandy and Vickie Braswell home, 229 E. Davilla, built in 1944 by Boswell and Dorothy Newton, prairie style influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright.
• Ber nie and K im Finley home, 415 Green Street, built in 1888 by Dr. R.D. Wallis, Victorian Cottage style known as “The Carousel House.”
• Dave and Mar y Phillips home, 437 San Gabriel Street, built in 1885 by Ed and Elizabeth Sims.
• Barkley Alford-Lee Pate home, 403 Rice Street, built in 1907 Greek Revival style by Moses. It was the long-time home of the E.A. Camp and Dr. L.E. Selden families.
• Perry home, 305 East Davilla Street, built in 1908 by P.H. and Mary Coffield. The third generation of the Perry Family lives here.
The three new homes on the tour this year are as follows:
• Wendie Upson home, 417 East Bell Street, known as the Ryan home, built in 1933 for Rockdale banker TS.B. “Ted” Ryan and wife Helen. Its lot and home were wedding gifts to the couple from Helen Ryan’s father, Dr. H.T. Coulter of Rockdale, and her uncle, Walter Coulter of Bryan.
• Kenny and Elaine Gerren home, 227 East Bell, built in about 1885 by Judge James Samuel Perry. Later owned by H.H. Coffield and converted into apartments. It has also housed several business firms over the years.
• Joyce Dalley home, 508 Green Street, known as the “The Branch Lew is House,” constructed before turn of the century.
(History on several homes courtesy of Eugenia Newton.)