Minerva dedicates antique gas pump
Oldest in attendance was former Minerva student, Bonnelle Gjedde.
A cake, with a picture of the community center, was baked by Bea Korenek, and the center was decorated with gold accents.
Prior to the noon meal, the Mi ner v a-Midw ay C eme ter y Board conducted a business meeting.
HISTORY— Minerva School District Number 33 served the community from 1913-1949.
In 1960, the f irst Miner va Homecoming was held for community members to return and reminisce.
The homecoming is held on the first Sunday in October and includes a pot-luck meal and a time of fellowship.
RED PUMP— The Red Gas Pump, which was the first gas pump in Minerva, was used at Fletcher’s Store in Minerva in the early 1920’s.
The Minerva Refinery supplied the gas for the pump. Willard Cone pumped gas from this same pump at age nine.
In the early 1970’s, he acquired the gas pump and had it placed in his front yard.
He and wife Ruth Cone would not sell the pump say ing “it belonged in Minerva as a memorial to the past.”
After Willard Cone’s death in August, 2008, the Minerva community purchased the pump for restoration and placement in front of the community center.
Ruth was able to see the pump restored, but died in July 2010 before the pump was permanently put in place.
VOLUNTEERS— Volunteer labor and several donations by residents of Minerva, Rockdale, and Cameron were recognized during Sunday’s dedication.
Ernie Glenn gave the dedication speech as members of the Cone family, Minerva Community Center Board of Trustees, business members who donated time and materials, and community spectators gathered around the pump.
This pump was dedicated in memory of Willard Cone (April 15, 1915-August 19, 2008) and Ruth Cone (February 18, 1921- July 24, 2010).
A plaque is placed on the pump that thanks the Minerva Community and the following individuals and businesses for their donations:
John Krause, sandblasting; Hairston Paint and Body, Neal Ferrell and Lee Ida Hairston, body work and paint; NAPA Auto Parts, paint.
A nderle Lumber Company, metal; Rockdale Signs and Photography, signs; Karen Brown, fence; Charles Denman, forms and rebar.
Connie Cone Hamilton, Wiring; B & H Ironworks, setting gas pump; the Glenns, time and labor; Jim Foster, wiring.