100 YEARS AGO....
James Head, 40, railroad freight conductor, was in critical condition after being shot by Rockdale City Marshal C. C. Bethea at the depot. Witnesses said Bethea, who surrendered to authorities, fired after Head asked him to close a door.
A Por t Sullivan man was ar rested and charged w it h shooting an acquaintance in the back with a shotgun. The victim survived.
New Year’s Eve brought numerous watch parties with noisemakers including whistles, bells and anvils.
In Salty, Will Luckey entertained the young folks with a “snap party” and a “candy breaking.”
40 YEARS AGO....
Alcoa began the new year by announcing 40 layoffs at Rockdale Operations, citing less demand for aluminum.
First Baptist Church accepted a construction contract for a new church sanctuary, Sunday school complex and offices.
It was a typical winter week in Central Texas as Rockdale recorded a high of 83 and a low of 22, a 61-degree swing.
Emily Embra, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Embra, was Rockdale’s first baby of 1971.
20 YEARS AGO....
Milam County commissioners approved a pair of $25,000 gifts to two financially troubled hospitals, Rockdale’s Richards Memorial and Cameron’s Central Texas Hospital.
Country comedian Jerry Clower was booked as guest speaker for Rockdale’s Chamber of Commerce banquet March 22.
William Caleb Springer, son of Jeff and Donna Springer, was Rockdale’s first baby of 1991.
Roger Hashem was sworn in as new county judge and LaVerne Soefje as county clerk.
TEN YEARS AGO....
A proposed election to enlarge the Rockdale Hospital District’s boundaries to those of the Rockdale ISD was postponed a second time, to Feb. 13.
Raelynn Storey, daughter of Carl and Rainey Storey, was Rockdale’s first baby of 2001.
Law enforcement officers were searching for the “Texas Seven” prison escapees. One of them, 39-year-old Patrick Murphy Jr., had lived in Rockdale.
A repor t by the state f ire marshal’s office said a Burleson County rural blaze, which claimed the lives of two children, may have started with a heat lamp used to keep family pets warm.