Drug chase crash
Lt. J. D. Newlin said law enforcement agencies continue to search for 30-year-old John D. “John-John” Johnson of Rockdale.
Neither the suspect nor Vaughan were seriously hurt in the separate crashes during the half-hour chase around 9:30 p.m.
Vaughan hit a tree on County Road 304. Minutes later the suspect’s Jeep left FM 908 northwest of Rockdale after running through spike strips placed by Deputy Sheriff Eddy Veracruz, who then performed a pitting maneuver.
The suspect f led on foot and escaped.
“We’d like the public’s help in apprehending Johnson,” Newlin said. “He goes by the street name ‘John-John’ and he’s pretty easy to spot. He has a star tattooed under his left eye and numerous other tattoos, including the name ‘Diana’ on his neck.”
Nine persons, including four from Rockdale, were arrested last Tuesday night as a result of the drug sting.
CHASE—Newlin said the chase began when Ofc. S. A. Smith spotted the suspect on US 79 and attempted to pull him over.
The chase ensued over city streets, county roads, farm-market roads and, at one point, off road.
Newlin said the suspect drove off Murray Avenue into the field by the RHS baseball diamond.
The pursuit headed out Bushdale Road (CR 305) and was on County Road 304, where Vaughan’s crash occurred.
Vaughan’s drug dogs, who were with him, are also okay.
The pursuit was headed back into Rockdale on FM 908 when Veracruz brought the car chase to a halt.
STING—Last week’s arrests came after the sheriff’s department, assisted by police and Vaughan, served a search warrant at the Budget Inn Motel.
Investigator Chris White said an additional search warrant was also served at a residence in the 500 block of College Street. “The majority of the arrests were made at the motel,” White said.
White said materials to set up a drug lab were discovered in the motel room. “The lab had not yet been set up,” he said.
• Patrick Vega, 32, Rockdale, manufacture/delivery of a controlled substance (1 to 4 grams), possession of a controlled substance (less than one gram), in custody on $27,500 bond.
• Julia Farmer, 30, Rockdale, misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance (3 to 28 grams), in custody on $2,500 bond.
• Dylon Caffey, 19, Rockdale, manufacture/delivery of a controlled substance (less than one gram), released on $7,500 bond.
• Sherman Sanchez, 29, Rockdale, manufacture/delivery of a controlled substance (less than one gram), released on $7,500 bond.
• Jessica Arbuckle, 31, Wichita Falls, possession of a controlled substance (1 to 4 grams), in custody on $20,000 bond.
• Casey Dean McDonald, 30, Caldwell, possession of a controlled substance (1 to 4 grams), Burleson County warrants for probation violation and possession of a controlled substance, in custody on $21,000 bond
• John East, 32, Bryan, manufacture/ delivery of a controlled substance (1 to 4 grams), outof county bond surrender, in custody on $20,000 bond.
• Samuel Wesson, 47, Rockdale, possession of a controlled substance (less than one gram), in a drug free zone, in custody on $25,000 bond.