Get moving with ‘Walk Across Texas’
Cheryl Walker

I f you are needing a push to get in the exercise habit, join the Walk Across Texas eight-week program to help develop the routine. Since 1996, the Texas AgriLife Extension Service has sponsored this program for youth and adults to get out and get moving for their health.

Thousands of walkers have participated in the program across the state. The goal of the eight-week program is for a team to walk at least 800 miles across Texas. Now is the time to sign up and start the 2011 Walk Across Texas in Milam County. You can sign-up on the website or come by the Milam County Extension Office at 100 E. 1st Street in Cameron for a registration packet.

Individuals and teams up to eight persons can register for the walking program. It is a good way to have some friendly competition with your friends and family as you get moving for your health.

The goal is for teams to complete their eight weeks by June 15. Results will be tabulated and announced on July 11. For more information on Walk Across Texas, contact the extension office at 254-697-7045 or email

‘WISH LIST’–Milam County 4-Hers can use your help with a community service project. They are collecting items off the “wish list” from the Temple Ronald McDonald House. If you would like to help you can donate items or money to purchase items.

Items and money need to be delivered to the Milam County Extension Office by Wednesday, March 16. The 4-Hers will be making their delivery to Temple on March 17.

Items like individual servings sizes of cereals, chips, snacks, cookies, pudding cups and snacks are always needed. You can also donate sugar free snacks, paper towels, laundry detergent, crayons, coloring books and Walmart gift cards.

4-Hers have been donating to the Ronald McDonald House for a number of years. They started by collecting and donating the can tabs for the house. They still collect the can tabs, but they have expanded their service to providing items requested by the Ronald McDonald House. If you have can tabs, bring them to the extension office throughout the year.

If you have questions or need additional information, contact the extension office.

Click here for digital edition
2011-03-10 digital edition

Copyright 2009-2018 Rockdale Reporter, All Rights Reserved.

Special Sections

Special Sections