A lbert Matocha opened a successful hardware business in Cameron’s Dutch Town in 1898. The building was owned by Frank Mondrik.
During Matocha’s operation of the store the building was damaged by a fire in May, 1920.
Matocha repaired the damaged area using remains of an old dance hall which was divided into two parts and dragged by oxen to Batte Street.
He continued to run the store until his death in 1946 when E. L. “Bubba” Wied became the store’s owner.
Wied purchased the building from the Mondrik family and operated it until 1986. The store was known for its stock of hardware, plus a tin shop and tinsmith, Edward Reynolds, who also worked in the hardware store.
Reynolds was well-known for his work which can still be found around the countryside.
Mrs. Weed continued to run the store until 1990. She owns the store today, and while it is opened by appointment or on special occasions, it is still full of antiques and a good many hardware items dating back to the mid 1900’s.
The store appears much as it did when it was purchased by the Wieds in 1946.
Wied Hardware is a tribute to the immigrants who came to America, who were successful in business and who lived in support of their communities.
This building is recognized by Texas Historical Commission as a Recorded Texas Historical Landmark.