M ilam County has ten Centennial Markers.
The Ben Milam statue was erected on the courthouse lawn in 1937 as part of the state’s recognition of statues.
Texas Centennial markers were paid for through federal funding awarded to Texas in the 1936 Centennial Celebration. The follow ing markers were funded by the State of Texas in 1936:
A Milam County marker on US 77 in Cameron is a red granite marker with the following inscription: “A part of Robertson Colony in 1834 and a part of Municipality of Viesca in 1835 created in 1836 and named for Ben Milam killed Dec. 5, 1835.
“ When created it contained one-sixth of the original land area of Texas. Fifty-four Texas Counties or parts hereof now occupy that territory.
“Until 1840 settlers spent much time in battle with hostile Indians.
On April 14, 1846, Cameron was authorized as the county seat by legislation. Milam County as it is now exists was established in 1856.”—Milam County Marker , State of Texas 1936. Missions San Francisco Xavier,
Markers denoting 18th Century Spanish colonial missions are located approximately 8.5 miles NW of Rockdale on FM 908. Here are the inscriptions:
• Mission San Francisco Xavier—“First mission built in the San Xavier Mission sites on the south side of the San Gabriel River.
“Listed in the National Register and part of the 1691 El Camino Real de los Tejas National Trail.”
• Mission San Ildefonso— “Located approximately 8 miles NW of Rockdale on FM 908. Second mission built in the San Xavier Missions complex.”
“Located on FM 908/CR 429. Listed in the National Register and part of the 1691 El Camino Real de los Tejas National Trail.”
• Mission Nuestra Señora de la Ca ndela r ia—“ Located off Farm Road 908 NW of County Road 432 of listed in the National Register and a part of the 1691 El Camino Real de los Tejas National Trail.”