Austin man arrested in ‘8-liners’ probe
A 46-year-old Austin man was arrested Monday by Chief Deputy Chris White in connection with raids on 8-liner gambling machines in February.
Amir Kasan Dawa was charged w ith possession of gambling devices, equipment or paraphernalia and keeping a gambling establishment. He was released after posting $2,000 bond.
White said the arrest stemmed from Feb. 25 raids in which 29 of the machines were seized in convenience stores, one in Rockdale and three in Cameron.
The raids concluded a fivemonth investigation by the Milam County Sheriff’s Department.
Enrollment gains listed for Thorndale, Gause
En rol lment soa red in t he Thorndale ISD on the first day of classes Monday.
Supt. Casey Callahan said 570 students answered the first bell, up from 534 last year.
“ We have cut off accepting transfers at the high school level, he said.
The figures represent 196 at THS, 121 in the middle school and 253 in the elementary.
Gause enrollment is also up, 185 on Monday, compared to 176 at the beginning of 2010-11.
Milano enrollment Monday was 394, 134 in MHS, 88 in the junior-high and 172 at the elementary.
That’s down from 411 at the beginning of 2010-11.
Rockdale city panels set meeting dates
Two Rockdale city entities were to meet at midweek at City Hall, the Airport Board at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday and the Municipal Development District ( MDD) 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
The MDD board w ill hear numerous project reports and will consider and act on a business recruiter/ MDD manager position.
Volunteers answer South Milam calls
Fire calls for South Milam County volunteer fire departments, dispatched from the Rockdale Police Department during the past week, were listed as follows:
• 2:37 a.m. Saturday, structure fire, 406 East Fifth, Rockdale VFD.
• 5 p.m. Aug. 18, small grass fire, two miles west of Thorndale, Thorndale VFD.
• 6:49 p.m. Thursday, grass fire, FM 3242, Milano VFD.
• 8:30 p.m. Thursday, electrical line sparking, St. Paul Lutheran Church, Thorndale VFD.
• 9 a.m. Sunday, grass fire, 1- 1/2 miles north of Thorndale on FM 486, Thorndale VFD.
• 7:23 p.m. Sunday, cotton bale on fire, CR 264, Gause VFD.
• 2:01 p.m. grass fire, FM 486, north of San Gabriel, Thorndale VFD.
• 3 : 48 p. m. Mond ay, t ree caught fire from an arcing power box, 300 block of Mill, Rockdale VFD.
New ‘MAP Run’ slated Oct. 15 at VFW Hall
Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6525 will host a Military Assistance Program (MAP) Motorcycle Run with its annual fall chili cookoff at the post Oct. 15.
For more information contact Rod Roderick, 512-446-6696 or James Adcock, 254-541-6249.
Six persons sentenced in 20th District Court
Six persons were sentenced after offering guilty pleas last week in 20th District Court:
• Alisa Lynn Williams, 46, Rockdale, possession of a controlled substance (less than one gram), three years deferred adjudication, $140 restitution.
• Daniel Tovar, 28, Rockdale, delivery of a controlled substance (less than one gram), six-month state jail term, $140 restitution.
• Patrick Vega, 33, Rockdale, possession of a controlled substance (less than one gram), twoyear state jail term probated four years, substance abuse evaluation and recommended treatment, not go on the premises of the Rockdale Budget Inn and have no contact with co-defendants, $280 restitution.
• Brandon Lee Lunsford, 20, Temple, obtaining prescription by fraud, three years deferred adjudication, substance abuse evaluation and any recommended treatment.
• Israel Rangel, 35, Cameron, violation of protective order, assault causes bodily injury/ family violence, two three-year prison terms.
• Rocky Van Wilson, 43, Bryan, burglary of a building. He also pleaded no contest to forgery by passing and pleaded true to violating probation conditions for two counts of forgery by passing. He drew a total of four four-year sentences and was assessed restitution totaling $3,363.