Commentary

Just pay 100 percent up front and get scammed

MILAM COUNTY T.R.I.A.D.
Ted Hubert

Nelson Kofi is a con artist, supposedly fron Ghana, sending emails to Milam County.

His new endeavor, the Rural Development Project (RDP) provides a list of 23 products. You are led to believe that this business opportunity is a once in a life time chance to make money.

The greeting “Attention Sir/ Madam” tells us that the form letter is on a phishing expedition seeking information that only the victim can provide

You are being set up for a scam, if you reply. The intent here is to have the victim feel that all is on the up-and-up and the more comfortable you feel in dealing with this con artist the more vulnerable you become. Con artists are known for winning their victims confidence then strike when they think the time is right.

A friend or relative is positioned to get you to give your hard earned money away. Your enemies would have trouble getting you to write them a check for anything. Right?

The payment, for these goods, is very simple. In fact, it is so simple it is laughable. If you can handle one or more of the listed products, you must send 80 percent of the payment immediately and the other 20 percent before shipment.

Kofi is asking for 100 percent of the cash up front. Isn’t it usually the other way around? You pay 20 percent down and 80 percent would be paid after the goods are received?

You are led into thinking that Nel (Nelson) and Ko (Kofi) formed the name of his company to Nelko International.

Be careful when you are asked to pay money to anyone outside the United States of America. It is next to impossible to get your money back. Did you get an e-mail from Nelson Kofi? If you answered, yes, then you know what to do with it. Delete.

Citizens National Bank is giving the program for the Milam County TRIAD General Membership meeting.

Date is October 6, place is the Yoe High School auditorium and the time is 6:30 p.m., with the program at 7.

Let’s all meet at the Yoe High School auditorium for fun, fellowship and valuable information that will save you time and money. ted@myalpha1.net


Click here for digital edition
2011-09-15 digital edition



The burn ban for Milam County has been lifted. Burning is always prohibited in the county's municipalities.


Click here to register for the 5 Kay!