City council considers redistricting maps
The council was supposed to meet on Sept. 12 but a quorum did not show.
Three different drafts of where redistricting lines of Rockdale’s east and west wards were presented for council members’ consideration during the meeting.
City manager Kelvin Knauf said the difference between the maps are slight changes in voting population.
Mayor Dr. Larry Don Jones, said that voters have expressed concerns over voter boundaries to him.
At least one map must be presented for public comment, but council members decided to let voters view all three.
The maps will be available for viewing at city hall and on the city’s website (www.rockdalecityhall.com) by the end of the week, Knauf said.
Public comments on the maps will be heard during the council’s regular meeting at 5:30 p.m. Monday, Oct. 10 at city hall.
In other business, the council:
• Gave Knauf permissio n to contact TxDOT for help with possible airpor t renovations.
• Appointed members Doug Calame and Melodie Dawson to the Y- Partnership Commi ttee.
• Appointed Gar y Anton, Bobby Pelzel and Mary Ridgway to the board of directors of the Rockdale Municipal Development District, ter ms expiring Sept. 2013.
• Appointed Jimmy Cox to the Airp ort Board to fill a vacancy.
• Awarded Citizens National Bank the contract for the city’s bank depository service s, as long as they can keep current services.