Here’s why it’s called ‘restoration’
It’s a major fund raiser for the society. On this page you can see what the funds are going for.
On Dec. 1, 1999, the society purchased the former International & Great Northern railroad depot, constructed in 1905, and began a restoration project.
The building was used as a depot for 65 years, until passenger train service to Rockdale was terminated in 1970.
For the next 28 years the structure was used to store feed. It was also damaged by fire.
The restoration has involved countless hours of volunteer work by dozens of Historical Society members and others.
In addition to restoring the depot to its turn-of-the-20th Century appearance, railroad cars have been added and a complete, working blacksmith shop now stands on the grounds.
The museum also has featured a number of historical exhibits, including one on the life of the late State Rep. Dan Kubiak of Rockdale and on the history of Dr. Pepper.
In 2009, the depot-museum was named the best historical restoration in the state of Texas.