RJH musicians earn spots in region bands
Sixteen members of the Rockdale Junior High Band recently earned all-region honors at the Association of Texas Small School Bands (ATSSB; Class 3A and under) Region 18/26 auditions, according to RJH band director Lance Walker.
Tryouts were held Nov. 12 at Smithville High School. The region clinic and concert were held Nov. 18-19 at Hutto High School.
Over 600 junior high students auditioned and 200 were fortunate enough to make two bands, the top band being the symphonic band and the bottom band being the concert band, Walker said.
“We were fortunate enough to have 16 students make the band. I had 30 audition this year which is the biggest number I’ve ever taken to audition,” he said. “These students managed to put on a great concert in just two days of rehearsal as a full band.”
RJH band students have already begun preparations for solo and ensemble contest at Blinn College on Feb. 24.
CHRISTMAS CONCERT—The Rockdale ISD band program will hold its annual Christmas concert at 7 p.m. Monday, Dec. 12 at the Rockdale High School auditorium. It will feature bands grades sixth through 12th. Along with the concert, the group is holding its second annual canned food drive.
“Our goal for this year is 1,000 pounds,” Walker said. “Last year we got to about 800 pounds.”
• Ryann Morgan, oboe, 1st chair.
• Jennifer Zelaya, flute, 2nd chair.
• Shay Davenport, bassoon, 2nd chair.
• Julianna Juarez, tenor saxophone, 2nd chair.
• Mason Morrow, trumpet, 3rd chair.
• Travis Morgan, trombone, 6th chair.
• Emily Ibarra, French horn, 7th chair.
• Preston Dorman, trumpet, 7th chair.
• Geritt Davenport, trumpet, 14th chair.
• Ashton Betchan, clarinet, 18th chair.
• Michael Zapata, percussion, 5th chair.
• Lily Schweitzer, alto saxophone, 6th chair.
• Mary Hartley, trumpet, 6th chair.
• Annie Hasselbach, clarinet, 10th chair.
• Abbi Moreland, clarinet, 11th chair.
• Makayla Ramirez, clarinet, 17th chair.