Schoolyard fun turned quickly into ‘sour grapes’
Rosebud, was offered a job by Briary school trustees in 1895. She taught two years. For the next seven years men and women from Maysfield, Cameron, Buffalo, and Ben Arnold taught there.
In 1908, J. W. Duncan and T. M Casey bought an acre of land from
J. B. Muldrow to build a new school. A short time later a building was built and a Methodist Church was dedicated in the building.
The church property was then sold to the school. The building was wrecked and the materials were used for a new school. Several years later a library was added and a music class was added.
Many teachers provided instr uction. Children of the White, Allen, Lawrence, Bryant, Neal, Wimberly, Raley, Thomason and Denson families got their education at Briary School.
During recess the children invented ways to have fun. Grape v ines are plentiful in Milam County, and the students at Briar y pulled green grapes and threw them at one another.
Can you imagine how the school yard must have looked covered in green grapes?
Mrs. Robinett “strongly advised” all the students to pick up every grape on the school ground. They all got busy crawling around on their hands and knees to “tidy” up their mess and make the grounds presentable.
None of those students talked about the fun they had that turned into “sour grapes”
From 1914 to 1920 teachers came and went from the areas of Rockdale, Cameron, West, Georgetown Maysfield and Ben Arnold.
In 1921, a teacherage was added to the school facility. Teachers who lived there were Miss Hilliard, principal Mrs. R. A. Allen, and Mrs. Ada McQuarry. Occupants of the teacherage known as the “little Blue House” made everyone feel welcome as they came by to visit after school.
Reflecting on her experience at Briary, Ruby Harris, who became Mrs. Morris Coward, learned a valuable lesson when she told the story about teaching children something that was not so familiar to her. One day she undertook to teach a class of girls how to spin a top.
The class resulted in a black eye for Betty Ann Allen and a lesson for her teacher.