Hunting, fishing licenses now on sale in state

Stamps needed to hunt doves in September

A special $7 stamp is needed by wing hunters to hunt dove. A special $7 stamp is needed by wing hunters to hunt dove. Hunting and fishing licenses (except year-to-date fishing licenses) expire Aug. 31, and new licenses for 2012-2013 went on sale Aug. 15.

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department issues about 2.1 million hunting and fishing licenses annually through the agency’s 28 field offices, more than 58 state parks and at over 1,600 retailers across Texas.

Licenses may also be purchased online through the TPWD Web site at www.tpwd. or by phone (800- 895-4248) with a $5 convenience fee required for each transaction, Call center hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

The online transaction system is available 24/7. A transaction receipt may be printed at the time of purchase for online and a confirmation number is provided for phone orders, and the physical license is mailed separately.

Confirmation numbers will verify that a license has been purchased, which is sufficient for dove hunting, but will not allow hunters to take fish or wildlife that require a tag. Dove Hunting

In addition to a hunting license, all wing shooters will need to purchase a game bird stamp. To hunt dove or teal in September, a Migratory Game Bird Stamp ($7) is required.

Duck hunters also need to purchase a Federal Duck Stamp and receive HIP (Harvest Information Program) certification. HIP certification involves a brief survey of previous year’s hunting success and is conducted at the time licenses are purchased.

Certification will be printed on the license. Lifetime license holders must also be HIP-certified and purchase the Federal Duck Stamp to hunt migratory birds. All other state stamp endorsements are included with a lifetime license.

There are other mandatory endorsements to consider at the time of purchase, too. An Upland Game Bird Stamp ($7) is required to hunt all non-migratory game birds, including turkey, quail, pheasant and chachalaca.

Of course, anyone who purchases the Super Combo license package, the best bang for the buck at $68, automatically gets these needed stamps. Sportsmen ages 65 and older qualify for a discounted Senior Super Combo for $32. Duck hunters will still need to purchase a Federal Duck Stamp. Big Time Texas Hunts

Also available everywhere licenses are sold are chances for Big Time Texas Hunts. The Big Time Texas Hunts is a very popular Department program that offers hunters the opportunity to enter to win one or more premium guided hunts with food and lodging provided, as well as taxidermy in some cases.

The crown jewel of the program is the Texas Grand Slam dream hunt package, which includes four separate hunts for Texas’ most prized big game animals — the desert bighorn sheep, white-tailed deer, mule deer and pronghorn.

There are several quality whitetail hunt packages available, as well as opportunities to pursue alligator , waterfowl, upland game birds, and exotics such as sable and gemsbok

Hunters can buy Big Time Texas Hunts entries online for just $9 each at www.tpwd.state. , or for $10 each at license retailers or by phone. There is no limit to the number of entries an individual may purchase and all proceeds benefit conservation, wildlife management and public hunting.

The program is made possible with support from Toyota, Dallas Safari Club, Texas Trophy Hunters Association and the Texas Bighorn Society. More details on all seven premium hunts can be found online. Hunter Education

Hunter Education Certification is also required of any hunter born on or after Sept. 2, 1971 and who is at least 17 years old.

For hunters who are unable to work in a hunter education course before hunting season for whatever reason, TPWD does offer a deferral option that allows people 17 years of age or older a one-time only extension to complete the state’s hunter education requirements.

The individual must first purchase a hunting license and thenmay purchase the deferral option No. 166.

Hunters using the deferral must be accompanied by someone 17 years old or older also licensed to hunt in Texas.

The accompanying individual must have completed hunter education or be exempt from the requirements (born before Sept. 2, 1971). The extension is good for one license year, by which time the person with the deferred option needs to complete a hunter education course.

For information concerning the latest regulations and articles on hunting and fishing in Texas, check out the 2012-2013 Outdoor Annual available at license retailers and online at

The Outdoor Annual can also be downloaded as a PDF.

Click here for digital edition
2012-08-23 digital edition

Copyright 2009-2017 Rockdale Reporter, All Rights Reserved.

Special Sections

Special Sections