Overtime game had it all, but where did those calls come from?

“I t is magnificent, but it is not war.”

That’s what General Bosquet is supposed to have said after watching British forces bravely, but foolishly, charge into the teeth of the Russian artillery in what came to be called the Charge of the Light Brigade in 1854.

Overtime football is kinda like that. It’s magnificent, it’s thrilling, it’s entertaining, but it’s not quite football as we know it.

Rockdale and Taylor played three OT possessions Friday before the Ducks came away with a 34-28 win.

Much of the post-game talk was about one play that wrenched just about every emotion possible out of Tiger fans in a few seconds.

Tiger LB Austin Caffey wrestled the ball away from Taylor’s Justin Deary at the Blue 10 and set sail on what looked like was going to be a 90-yard game-winning TD fumble return.

But two things happened. RHS was called for “excessive celebration” while the play was under way. Then Duck QB-DB Jeremy Snyder somehow ran Caffey down at the Taylor 3 and tackled him.

The “celebration” was caught on video, of course. It was one Tiger raising his hand one time. That’s it. You’ve seen more celebrating after a quarterback sack or a measurement that goes your way.

Of course a few minutes later when Taylor scored in the third OT to win the game, and there was a sure-enough celebration, complete with flying water bottles, there was no flag.

While that wouldn’t have affected the winning Duck TD, it would have pushed Taylor back to the Blue 18 to try the mandatory 2-point PAT.

(You must go for two after the second OT. And in district play you have to line up and try a PAT, even if the game has been decided, because point spread is one of the district tie breakers.)

Of course neither of those two calls/non-calls affected the outcome of the game. Snyder’s big play negated one and Taylor missed the PAT anyway.

The overtime periods were a first for Jeff Miller, RHS head coach, at Rockdale, but not in his career.

When he was an assistant coach at Dickinson, the Gators hooked up with arch-rival Texas City in a game that went seven overtimes!

The sub-story is that the Millers were going to host the post-game get-together for Dickinson coaches that night.

“The game ended at 12:05 a.m. the next morning,” Miller recalled.

In a way, it’s amazing Rockdale was in a position to win the Taylor game at all.

Midway through the fourth quarter the Ducks were dominating time of possession and the stats with their ground game. Taylor ended up with 205 yards more total offense than the Tigers.

“They just wore us out,” Miller said. “But, even though we had some definite lapses letting them to the outside we hung in there and kept them out of the end zone after the first quarter.”

But, still, RHS was only one score down, needing a big play to get back in to the game.

That big play came when Patrick Trejo scooped up a fumble and raced 48 yards to the Taylor 5. Elijah Brooks scored on the next snap and— suddenly and shockingly—the game was tied, 21-21.

That led to overtime, then another and then another.

On a warm and muggy fall night in Central Texas it was obvious both teams had given just about everything they had by game’s end.

It’s amazing anyone had the strength to do any celebrating, excessive or any other kind.

Click here for digital edition
2012-10-18 digital edition

Copyright 2009-2017 Rockdale Reporter, All Rights Reserved.

Special Sections

Special Sections