Davilla has only remaining Rosenwald school
Editor’s note: This is the second article in a series on the Rosenwald Schools, which sered Milam County’s African American community. J ulius Rosenwald, whose parents immigrated to America believed that America could prosper if all people could receive an education.
Itwasafterhebecame employed with Sears Roebuck Company and rose to chief operating office and President there he became involved with Tuskegee Institute, which emphasized education dealing with carpentry, framing and mechanics.
Booker T. Washington, educator, black leader and founder of Tuskegee Institute shared some of the same education values as Rosenwald.
Rosenwald gave Tuskegee $25,000 for a black teacher training program in 1912.
This was the beginning of a small pilot program that changed education for black children in America.
Two years past, Rosenwald donated money to construct 100 rural schools for blacks, followed by more money that added another 200 black schools.
Communities pitched in organizing these schools in communities to find locations, building materials and help construct the school buildings.
It became a community effort organizing the schools in a community for blacks who had no education opportunities up to this time in American history
Four hundred sixty four Rosenwald schools were built in Texas between 1920 and 1930.
Milam County had five Rosenwald
They wereDavi lla, Milam County Training School, Milano School, Prospect School and Rockdale School.
Only one of these school buildings still exists in 2012 according to current information.
Davilla Rosenwald School Building exists and awaits restoration by Hill-Fontaine-Shelby Association a non-profit organization.
Research by the non-profit organization and Milam County’s Certified Local Government Committee and County Historical Commission is under way.