Constable-elect declines post, county to make call
The winner of the 2012 race for Precinct 3 Constable has declined to take office Jan. 1 and Milam County Commissioners are to appoint his replacement in a Wednesday (Dec. 26) session, just six days before the new constable’s term begins.
Jay Willingham submitted a letter declining the post to which he was elected in order to accept another job.
Acceptance of Willingham’s letter is also an agenda item for the commissioners session, set for 10 a.m. in the county courthouse.
Current Precinct 3 Constable Herbie Vaughan, who has served in the post for the past eight years, has told commissioners he is interested in being reappointed to the position.
Vaughan’s term expires on Monday.
WINNER—Vaughan passed up a chance at re-election to the constable post in 2012 in an unsuccessful challenge to incumbent David Greene in the Republican Primary.
The Precinct 3 constable race drew three candidates in the GOP primary with Willingham winning outright, polling 431 votes to 170 for Roy Baggerly and 90 for Carol Wells.
Willingham ran unopposed in the November general election and drew 1,744 votes.
REQUEST—Vaughan, who is also a former Rockdale VFD fire chief, said he is seeking to be re-appointed to the position.
“I have asked the commissioners court for the opportunity to serve as constable,” he said.
Vaughan told The Reporter he knew at least one other potential candidate has submitted a request seeking the appointment.
Commissioners cite the Texas Election Code, section 201.029 as the authority to appoint a replacement.
New Milam County officials will be sworn in at 10 a.m. Tuesday (Jan. 1) in the district courtroom.
AGENDA— O t her a gend a items for the Wednesday session include:
• Approval of bonds for newly elected officials.
• Acknowledge Secretary of State Election Law Seminar Certificate of Attendance for Sherry Mueck, Kollette Morgan and Nancy Tucker.
• Okay proposal for Thorndale Senior Citizen meals.
• Accept Sandra O’Donnell’s resignation as president and member of the Milam County Historical
Museum Board of Trustees.
• Appoint Pam Troutman as member of the Milam County Historical Museum Board of Trustees.
• Approve deputation of Nathan Law for the Milam County Sheriff’s Department.