News

Neighbors, public aid Milano family after fire

Christmas Eve blaze leaves five without home
By MARIE BAKKEN
Reporter Staff Writer


Family of five fled this fire with only the clothes on their backs. 
Photo courtesy Doug Bonney Family of five fled this fire with only the clothes on their backs. Photo courtesy Doug Bonney MILANO—A young Milano family is getting a new lease on life af ter their home was destroyed by fire on Christmas Eve, but community “Santas” have helped make this season a much brighter one for the group of five.

Milano volunteer firemen were toned out to 102 West Avenue A at 7 p.m. Dec. 24 to find the Cedric Myers residence on fire. Flames could be seen above trees as far as a mile away.

MVFD arrived with three trucks at the scene as is protocol, asked for Rockdale VFD to be on standby, but RVFD and firemen went ahead to the scene, according to MVFD fire chief Jesse Love.

All five family members, including two elementary age children and a toddler, did make it out of the home unharmed, but did lose just about everything.

CAUSE—Love said that no official cause of the fire could be determined but that he did know in which area of the house the blaze started.


Milano VFD Fire Chief Jesse Love said fire started in front bedroom where outside Christmas ornament was plugged in. 
Reporter/Marie Bakken Milano VFD Fire Chief Jesse Love said fire started in front bedroom where outside Christmas ornament was plugged in. Reporter/Marie Bakken “It started in a front bedroom where they had plugged in an outside (Christmas) ornament through the window,” Love said.

Firemen battled the blaze for two and half hours. American Medical Response personnel were also on scene.

An American Red Cross representative was also called in. The family is staying with relatives.

GIVING RESPONSE—Within hours of the fire, members of the Milam County community and beyond began bringing donations to the family.

“That night someone brought the kids some presents,” Don Brummett, manager at Days Inn in Rockdale where the family stayed a couple of days after the fire, said.

“They must have gotten them from under their own tree because they were already wrapped. The next day someone dropped off some clothes as well,” he said.

Brummett also said he received several calls on where people could take items for the family.

“There are a lot of people out there willing to donate to the family,” he added.

The giving spirit of the holidays stretched across the Brazos Valleyasa familydroveallthe way from Bryan to donate some clothes, games and money to the family.

Thirty-year-old Myers, girlfriend Candy Haney, 24, and children Alan, 7, Shia, 6, and Labron 3, are appreciative of what the community has done for them.

“I’ve been trying to say thank you, but don’t know how,” Myers said.


Click here for digital edition
2013-01-03 digital edition



The burn ban for Milam County has been lifted. Burning is always prohibited in the county's municipalities.


Special Sections


Special Sections
Archive