The Reporter welcomes news of special events from area churches There is no charge. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 512- 446-5317.
Easter Holy Week luncheons at FBC
Rockdale Ministerial Alliance will sponsor its annual noon-hour Community Holy Week luncheon services March 25-29 in the First Baptist Church Family Life Center.
Each meeting features sandwiches and finger foods provided by participating local churches, plus music, scripture and a short Holy Week message brought by the following speakers:
Monday, March 25, Pam Graham, St. Thomas Episcopal Church; Tuesday, March 26, Rev. Jack Chelf, First Baptist Church; Wednesday, March 27, Greg Spears, Milam County Cowboy Church; Thursday, March 28, Rev. Russ Willis, Meadowbrook Baptist Church; Friday, March 29, Lance Walch, Forest Grove Christian Church.
Easter sunrise service set here at Tiger Field
Rockdale’s annual community-wide Easter Sunrise Service will be held at 7 a.m. Sunday, March 31 at Tiger Field, the high school football stadium.
“Rev. Jack Chelf, pastor, First Baptist Church, Rev. Pam Graham, vicar, St. Thomas Episcopal, and Rev. Russ Willis, pastor, Meadowbrook Baptist, will be helping to lead in worship,” said Rev. Rita Sims, president of the Rockdale Ministerial Alliance.
In case of inclement weather, the service will be held at St. John’s United Methodist Church, corner of Hillcrest and Summit.
IMAP Church holding Friday fund-raisers
Mundo Apostólico Pentecostés Church, located at 586 Ackerman Street, is selling to-go dinner plates as a fund-raiser on Fridays through the end of March.
Plates are $7 and include an entre, rice, beans and homemade flour tortillas. Serving will begin at 10 a.m.
Tickets are available at the door or call-in orders ahead to 979-450-9280.
‘Family Matters’ event Wednesday at St. John’s
St. John’s United Methodist Church was to host a “Family Matters” program at 6 p.m. Wednesday (March 6), geared towards parents, preteens and teenagers with behavior and discipline issues.
The program will begin with a snack supper at 6 p.m. and at 6:30 a panel of speakers will be featured. Location is the St. John’s fellowship hall.
Speakers will include Probation Officer Daniel Wheeler, Counselor Angela White and Justice of the Peace Andy Isaacs.
“Rare indeed is the parent who avoids discipline problems in today’s world,” noted Rev. Rita Sims, St. John’s pastor. She said families will receive help from local resources with helpful ideas to avoid problems and pitfalls.
“Come and receive valuable information from these local speakers. A nursery will be provided,” Rev. Sims said.
FMI: Raymon Puente, 446-7064, or St. John’s Church, 446-5853. St. John’s is located at 1700 Hillcrest, corner of Hillcrest and Summit.
St. John’s UMC lists Lenten/Easter events
St. John’s United Methodist Church, Summit at Hillcrest streets, Rev. Rita Sims, pastor, has announced the following Lenten/Easter events:
• March 28—Maundy Thursday Service, 7 p.m.
• March 29— Good Friday bake sale, in front of Walmart.
• March 30—Community Easter Egg Hunt, 10 a.m., on church grounds.
• March 31—Easter Sunrise Service, 7 a.m., Tiger Field (will move to St John’s in case of inclement weather).
First Presbyterian Lenten/Easter events
First Presbyterian Church, 1600 Alcoa Avenue, Lenten and Easter schedule:
• Groundwork continues for Memorial Prayer garden.
• Sunday worship 10:30 a.m.
• Tuesday morning Bible study, 9:30, led by Pastor David Pussman.
• Choir practice 7 p.m. Wednesdays.
• Holy Week: Palm Sunday service, 10:30 a.m. March 24; Maundy Thursday service, 6 p.m. March 28; Good Friday service, 7 p.m. March 29; Easter Sunday worship, 10:30 a.m. March 31.
St. Thomas Episcopal Lenten, Easter schedule
St. Thomas Episcopal Church, 302 E. Davilla, Lenten and Easter schedule:
• Wednesdays in Lent— 6 p.m. evening prayer followed by soup supper and book study.
• Sundays—9:30 a.m. Harvard Lecture Series. 11:00 a.m.—Celebration of Holy Eucharist.
• Maundy Thursday—7 p.m. March 28, celebration of Holy Eucharist.
• Good Friday—7 p.m. March 29, narrative reading of the Passion of Christ with Holy Communion.
• Easter Sunday—11 a.m. March 31, celebration of the Feast of the Resurrection.
FMI: Rev. Pam Graham, vicar, 446- 5932.
RSBC lists events for month of March
March events at Rising Star Baptist Church, Rev. Royal Johnson, pastor:
• Saturday, March 9 at 10 a.m.— Basic gardening seminar, fellowship hall. James Bradford, Master Gardener, presenter.
• Sunday, March 10 at 11 a.m.— Deacon ordination service.
• Saturday, March 16 at 8:30 a.m.—Women’s breakfast at Lee’s Landing.
• Sunday, March 17 at 3 p.m.— Annual Women Day (speakers 11 a.m. Minister Linda Meekins; 3 p.m. Rev. Debra Greene.
• Saturday, March 23—4th annual RSBC Golf Classic (see separate story, this page).
Next men’s breakfast at Apostolic Faith Church
An ecumenical monthly men’s Christian fellowship breakfast is held from 7 until 8 a.m. each second Tuesday, the site rotating between several local churches.
Next breakfast will be March 12 at Apostolic Faith Church, 400 West Davilla.
Purpose is Christian fellowship and all men of the Rockdale area are invited, according to Bill Avrett, spokesman.
Thrift store volunteers listed through March
Rockdale Christian Services Heavenly Treasures thrift store serving the needy at 233 North Main Street is staffed by volunteers from RCS members churches. Church assignments through February are as follows:
March 7, St. John’s Methodist; March 8, Foster Ladies; March 12, Tuesday Volunteers; March 13, Guadalupanas; March 14, Peace Lutheran; March 15, First Presbyterian; March 19, Tuesday Volunteers; March 20, St. Joesph’s Catholic; March 21, Mt. Zion Baptist; March 22, Grace Lutheran; March 26, Tuesday Volunteers; March 27, Full Gospel; March 28, Meadowbrook Baptist; March 29, closed (Good Friday).—Judy Brown, volunteer chair
Family & Friends Day March 17, Stephen Chapel
GAUSE— Stephen Chapel AME Church, 422 E. US 79, Gause, will hold its annual Family & Friends Day at 3 p.m. Sunday, March 17 with Rev. Keith Gavin, pastor, Allen AME Church, Rockdale, the speaker. FMI: Delores Fisher, 979-279-570.)
Rising Star Baptist golf tourney March 23
Rising Star Baptist Church will sponsor its fourth annual church-benefit golf tournament on Saturday, March 23 at Blackhawk Golf Club, Pflugerville. Registration 11:30 a.m., shotgun start 1:30.