MILAM 4-H NEWS
A t the March 26 Milam County 4-H Council meeting, new officers will be elected. If you are a Milam County 4-Her 12 years of age and up, you can complete the membership form attached to the March newsletter. Submit your form to the Extension Office by March 18 so you can be considered for office.
This is a great leadership opportunity for you, but it is also an opportunity for you to help plan, organize and conduct county activities and contests. If you have questions, contact the Extension Office.
SLOGAN CONTEST—It is time to start thinking about the Milam County 4-H Slogan for 2013-2014 4-H Year. 4-Hers can submit one or more slogans by March 26 4-H Council meeting. It is easy to submit a slogan. Just submit your slogans on paper or send by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 26. It is your responsibility to make sure your slogan entries were received by the Extension Office by noon on March 26 or submitted at the council meeting on March 26.
Multiple entries can be submitted by an individual 4-H member or as a family entry. Slogans are used throughout the year in 4-H newsletters and the annual calendar and Celebration Event. The winner of the annual Milam County 4-H Slogan Contest will receive a $15 award at the Celebration.
Our 2012-2013 Slogan is “4-H for America’s Future “ submitted by James and Taylor Jester. Get busy and start thinking about what 4-H means to you.
APPROACHING DEADLINES— County 4-H Contest Night (Roundup and Fashion Show), March 18 at Ben Milam Elementary School in Cameron. Registration starts at 5:30 p.m. and contests start at 6 p.m. 4-Hers wanting to compete in District for the following contests will need to enter the March 18 contest Roundup presentations, Share the Fun contests,and Fashion Show.
If you need an idea to get you started, contact the Milam County Extension Office. We can help you get started on a simple presentation to show off your project experiences. Start now preparing for your presentations for the County Contest Night. Details on contest opportunities are available on the county website http://milam.agrilife.org/.
• 4-H Council and Leaders Meeting (Council Officer Election), 7:30 p.m. March 26 at Bea’s Kitchen in Cameron. Club managers, interested leaders and council members representing your club are needed to plan and conduct county 4-H activities. New council officers will be elected from the 4-H members 12 years of age and up that complete Council Membership Forms by March 18. Submit forms to Extension Office. Leaders will meet at the same time to complete planning for the annual fund-raiser and celebration events.
• 4-H Youth Board Meeting, 6:30 p.m. March 26 at Bea’s Kitchen in Cameron. This meeting is for current council officers, club managers and other youth and adults interested in planning activities for the county 4-H program. This project coordinates planning for county-wide projects, activities and trainings. One possible project to discuss will be sponsoring a St. Jude Bike/Walk-a-thon. Attend the Youth Board meeting and help plan 4-H opportunities.
• Horse Validation from March 1 to May 1 on 4-H Connect. If you plan on participating in the District or State Horse Shows, you must validate your horse or horses on 4-H Connect between March 1 and May 1. Only horses that are validated during this time can be entered in the 4-H Horse Shows. Guidelines on the validation procedure are available in the March 2013 4-H Newsletter posted on the county website.
• Nature Fest Photo Contest Entry Deadline, March 29. Open to youth and adults. You are not required to be involved in 4-H to enter. Details on categories and entry requirements on county website and at the Extension Office. • State 4-H Photography Contest Entry Deadline, April 1. Only open to Senior 4-Hers. Details on categories and entry requirements on county website and at the Extension Office.
LIVESTOCK UPDATE— Details, rules and schedules are available on the county website http://milam.agrilife.org/. Click on the individual show for details or contact the Milam County Extension Office.
• Milam County Jr. Livestock Show—March 21-23 at the Youth Expo Building in Cameron.
• Milam County Jr. Livestock Show Home Economics and Auction Baked Food Auction—March 22 at Bea’s Kitchen in Cameron.
• Rockdale Fair Tag-In for Commercial Heifers on April 3.
• Rockdale Fair Turkey and Broiler orders due by April 22. Order tags at the Milam County Extension Office. Details in March 2013 4-H Newsletter.
• Major show steer validation tag orders due by April 17. Validation tag is required for any steer that may be exhibited at the State Fair, Fort Worth, San Angelo, San Antonio, Houston, Austin and is also valid for Milam County Junior Livestock Show. You must plan now for the major show entries for Fall 2013 and Spring 2014.
• State Fair of Texas— Lamb, goat and swine tag orders due by April 17. Validation tag is required for these animals to show at the State Fair of Texas in Fall 2013.