Milam shooters win awards at ‘March Madness’ invitational
On March 2, 17 members of the Milam County 4-H Shooting Sports Club participated in the thirteenth annual “March Madness Invitational Shoot” in Manor, Texas at the Austin Rifle Club. T his shoot is considered a warm-up for Extravaganza, District Round-ups or the State Event to be held in July.
The following members brought back awards:
• Addie Reisner—2. A ir Pistol Silhouette open sight; 3. Smallbore Pistol Bullseye any sight.
• Kevin Junek—1. Precision Air Rifle.
• Ma llor y McDa niel—2. Precision Air Rifle.
• Katelyn Trowbridge—3. Precision Air Rifle.
• Paxton Reisner—3. Air Rifle Silhouette open sight.
• Tyler Shillings—2. A ir Rifle Silhouette open sight.
• Kellie Foster—1. Air Pistol; 2. Air Pistol Silhouette; 2. Smallbore Pistol Silhouette.
Other participants included: Emily Graham, John Pierce Graham, Tay tum Young, Gavin Young, Corey Preusse, Cordell Spears, Jason Penick, Jimmy Penick and Jake Penick.
COUNTY ROUNDUP— Four 4-Hers competed in the County 4-H Roundup Contests Share the Fun. Junior and Senior 4-Hers will also be competing at the District 4-H Contest on April 13.
• Robert Miller II of the Gause 4-H received first place in Poetry and Prose Beginner.
• Abbigail Miller of the Gause 4-H received first place in Poetry and Prose Junior. • Julianna Byrd of Thorndale 4-H received first place in Poetry and Prose Senior.
• Emily McCoy of Rockdale 4-H received first place in Vocal Senior.
Two 4-Hers competed in the County 4-H Fashion Show. Participants were:
• Robert Miller II of the Gause 4-H received first place in Buying Dressy Beginner.
• Abbigail Miller of the Gause 4-H received first place in Buying Dressy Junior. S he w ill a lso b e competing in the District Fashion Show on April 12.
LIVESTOCK UPDATES— Rockdale Fair turkey and broiler orders are due by April 22. Cost of turkeys are $4.60 each and broilers a re $ 1.54 e ach. P lace your order at the Milam County Extension Office by the April 22 d eadline. P ayment m ust b e received by April 22. Details, rules and schedules are available on the county website http:// milam.agrilife.org/. Click on the individual show for details or contact the Milam County Extension Office.
Major show steer validation tag orders are due by April 17. Validation tag is required for any steer that may be exhibited at the State Fair, Fort Worth, San Angelo, San Antonio, Houston, Austin and is also valid for Milam County Junior Livestock Show. You must plan now for the major show entries for Fall 2013 and Spring 2014.
State Fair of Texas tag orders for lamb, goat and swine are duebyApril17. Validationtag is required for these animals to show at the State Fair of Texas in Fall 2013.
Order tags at the Milam County Extension Office by April 17. Payment of $12 for steer lamb and goat tags and $10 for swine tags must be received by the Extension office by the deadline.
POULTRY INSTITUTE— The 2013 Poultry Institute for Youth, sponsored by the Texas A&M University Poultry Science Department and the U.S. Poultry & Egg Association, will be held June 16-18 on the Texas A&M University campus in College Station, T exas. T his p rogram gives high school students with an interest in the poultry industry a chance to gain first-hand knowledge.
They will have the opportunity to meet both Texas A&M faculty and Texas poultry industry leaders. A portionoftheinstitute will also include hands on activities as well as field trips to local commercial poultry companies.
Students who will be a junior or senior in high school in the Fall of 2013 or have just recently graduated from high school are eligible to attend. Interested students must complete and submit an application that can be found at http://posc.tamu.edu/ files/2012/08/2013-Institute- Application.pdf by Friday, May 3. The cost to attend is $50/student (do not submit this with your application). Lodging and meals are provided. S tudents who are selected will receive a confirmation packet after May 17. For any questions please contact Jennifer Allen at 979-845-1654 or jallen@ poultry.tamu.edu.