Sterling Robertson settled the area along the Brazos River known as Robertson’s Colony. The original colony boundary covered one-sixth of Texas. This evolved into Milam Municipality and became Milam County in 1836 when the Republic of Texas was formed.
Milam County Chief Justice Farley wrote to the Texas Secretary of State April 16, 1837, addressing the size of the county, and listing all of the settlements that were in the southern portion of the original territory of Robertson’s Colony. All or parts of fifty-two counties were carved from this vast area, leaving Milam with the present day boundaries.
Nashville, located on one and one-half miles east of the Little River, was named county seat.
Commissioners named the new seat of justice at Cameron, Texas, honoring Ewen Cameron who was shot by order of Santa Anna.
Four courthouses have served the county since 1837 in Cameron. The present courthouse built in 1892, was restored through national, state and private funds beginning in 1994. The courthouse was rededicated July 4, 2002, 112 years later.
Milam County’s 1895 jail, located across the street from the courthouse is a fully furnished restored jail museum, open to the public.
If you are interested in historic buildings, structures, sites, and objects, Milam County was recognized as a THC Certified Local Government in 2005.
A CLG Survey lists all of Milam County’s owned properties, and an inventory of historic building, structures, sites and objects within the four precincts. This survey does not include the Cities of Buckholts, Cameron, Milano, Rockdale and Thorndale.
City governments are required to file for their own CLG Recognition, as they govern using ordinances.
Copies of Milam County’s CLG Book are available for sale at Milam County Museum 112 W. First Street in Cameron.
What does Milam County have that fits “sense of place”?
El Camino Real de los Tejas National Trail dates back to the late 1600’s. How can it be promoted to bring people here to benefit the entire county? firstname.lastname@example.org