Here come the 2014 elections
First day to file for the March 4 Republican and Democratic Primaries is Nov. 9 and there are already candidates announcing and some major political news with a party chair giving up his post (see story below).
No less than 12 county positions will be decided by county voters next year. That’s three more than the usual.
A pair of current office holders were appointed and, by law, that post must now be filled by the voters. A third is for a full term as a current office holder was elected to the remainder of an unexpired term two years ago.
Here are the positions to be decided in 2014 along with the current office holders:
• County judge, David Barkemeyer (R).
• District clerk, Cindy Fechner (D).
• County clerk, Barbara Vansa (D).
• County treasurer, Donna Orsag (R), election for full term. In 2012 Orsag was elected to the remainder of unexpired term created when Danica Lara resigned to accept another county post.
• Precinct 1 commissioner, Chuck “ Tank” Balch ( R), appointed to replace George Tomek who was elected in 2012 and then stepped down.
• Precinct 2 commissioner, Kenneth Hollas (D).
• Precinct 4 commissioner, Jeff Muegge (D).
• Precinct 3 constable, Carol Wells (R), appointed when 2012 winner Jay Willingham declined the position.
• Precinct 1 justice- of-thepeace, Rick Gommert (R).
• Precinct 2 justice- of-thepeace, Sam Berry (R).
• Precinct 3 justice- of-thepeace, Andy Isaacs (R).
• Precinct 4 justice- of-thepeace, Gary Northcutt (D).
Final day to file for the primaries is Dec. 9.