KNOW YOUR CITY
• Lift the lid carefully and check for any insects or snakes which may be in the water meter box. Thedialmaybecovered with dirt or debris so wipe off the dial to where you can read the numbers (water meters have a dial like the odometer in a car).
• Observe that the water meter has one dial with a sweep hand and scale numbered from 1 to 10. Each revolution of the sweep hand represents 10 gallons of water through the meter.
• Refer to the horizontally displayed numbers in the mechanical odometer to read the total revolutions of the sweep hand and the total number of gallons through the meter.
• Read the mechanical odometer numbers from left to right. The meter shown reads 281,010 gallons.
• Notice that the last number of the far right is fixed at zero.