This time of year can be very exciting for all ages at Rockdale ISD, but it has to be the most exciting for our Rockdale Elementary students with all of the new things they experience for the first time. This week the Rockdale Elementary has the spotlight and Principal Sandee Calame would like to share information about a very special event on her campus.
Rockdale Elementary “Polar Express” night had another fabulous turn out on Dec. 12. The Polar Express is an opportunity to highlight literacy and bring teachers, students and parents together to celebrate education and the Christmas Season.
Students, teachers and parents enjoyed hot cocoa and cookies and visited with Santa before heading to activities in various locations around the school. Each grade level featured an educational Christmas themed activity.
Parental involvement is always important but at the elementary we strive to incorporate a close bond with the parents of our students. All year long there are a few simple things parents can do to help your child become a better reader:
• Read to and with your child for 30 minutes every day.
• If your child has a developmental delay, your child may find reading frustrating. Record yourself reading or record your child reading and allow them to listen while they look at the book.
• Help your child to see that reading is important.
• Set up a reading area in your home.
• Give your children writing materials.
• Talk with your children as you do daily activities together.
We hope to see you at the Polar Express next year. firstname.lastname@example.org