Big election season for Milam in 2014
Milam County will choose 10 countywide and precinct officials in 2014 and it all starts with the March 4 Republican and Democratic Primaries.
Premier race is the Republican contest for County Judge where incumbent Dave Barkemeyer is challenged by Frank Summers in a rematch of the 2010 general election in which Summers, a three-term incumbent at the time, ran as a Democrat.
There are also GOP contests for treasurer, district clerk, Precinct 2 commissioner, Precinct 3 justice of the peace and Precinct 3 constable.
• Countyjudge— Dave Barkemeyer (incumbent); Frank Summers.
• County treasurer, Donna Gilbert Orsag (incumbent); Linda Acosta.
• District clerk—Karen Berry; Margot Contreras.
• Precinct 1 county commissioner, unexpired term— Chuck “Tank” Balch (incumbent).
• Precinct 2 county commissioner— Donald Ray Shuffield; Mike Marek.
• Precinct 1 justice of the peace—Rick Gommert (incumbent).
• Precinct 2 justice of the peace—Sam Berry (incumbent).
• Precinct 3 justice of the peace—Andy Isaacs (incumbent); Kim Stewart.
• Precinct 4 justice of the peace—Wanda S. Hobbs.
• Precinct 3 constable, unexpired term—Jay Beathard; Dale Keen.
• County clerk—Barbara Vansa (incumbent).
• Precinct 4 County commissioner— Jeff Muegge (incumbent).
• Precinct 2 justice of the peace—Don Schuerman.
• Precinct 4 justice of the peace—Gary Northcott (incumbent).
Incumbent District Clerk Cindy Fechner, a Democrat, and incumbent Precinct 3 constable Carol Wells, a Republican, did not file for re-election.
Early voting for the March 4 primaries begins on Feb. 18. See newsbrief, page 2A.