The Reporter welcomes news of special events at local churches. There is no charge. Email email@example.com or FAX 512-446-5317.
Lent at St. Thomas
Ash Wednesday Service of Holy Eucharist with the imposition of ashes will begin Lent at St. Thomas Episcopal, according to Rev. Pam Graham, vicar.
Wednesdays March 12, 19, 26 and April 2 and 8, St. Thomas will pray Evening Prayer with Holy Eucharist, followed by a light supper and discussion of the book Lent is Not Rocket Science. The book will be available Ash Wednesday after the service, Rev. Graham said.
“Please join us. All are invited,” she added.
RSBC spring events
Rising Star Baptist Church will hold a variety of events during March and April.
• Monday, March 10 at 10 a.m, Community Garden work day. Bring garden tools. Volunteers will prepare the garden for planting vegetables.
• Tuesday, March 11 from 10 a.m. until noon, Youth Spring Break clean-up at Veterans Park. FMI: Tim Ramey, 512- 446- 2642.
• Wednesday, March 12 from 6 to 8 p.m., Family Night movie “Facing the Giants.” Everyone invited. Sponsored by RSBC Youth Department. (Bible study canceled for movie night.
• Saturday, March 22, RSBC 5th Annual Golf Classic at Blackhawk Golf Course, Pflugerville. FMI: Pastor Royal Johnson, 512- 576-4483.
• Saturday, April 5 at noon, Ladies Luncheon and Style/Fashion Show. All girls and women invited to attend and bring guests. Admission: $5. Coordinators,
Georgia Zamora and Joyce Ford.
• Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, 7 p.m. April 8-10, RSBC revival. Evangelist, Pastor Kevin Nelson, San Antonio. Music each night by local choirs and RSBC Music Ministry.
The Memorial Prayer Garden at First Presbyterian Church is showing signs of spring and March and April events at the church have been announced.
• Season of Lent began March 5 at 7 p.m. with Ash Wednesday service.
• March 8, men’s barbecue fellowship with food, fellowship and discussion. Van leaves church parking lot 9 a.m. To reserve a space, call 512-446- 5987 (leave a message).
• March 17 at 7 p.m., Keyboard Melody Makers (piano students of Dixie Whitmore and junior club of Matinee Musical Club) will perform.
• March 18, Women of the Church travel to Liberty Hill for monthly meeting and Bible study. Year’s study: Women of the Bible.
• March 23, church luncheon following 10:30 morning worship.
Along with Palm Sunday and Easter preparations in April, a Spring Festival will be held on the church grounds Saturday, April 26.
FMI: visit fpcrockdale.com.
Women’s Bible study
Sara Straznicky will lead a Beth Moore Bible Study at St. John’s United Methodist Church, starting the first week of Lent, Wednesday, March 12, from 10 a.m. until noon. The 10-week study is “Jesus, the One and Only.”
Everyone is invited. Cost of study book is $15. FMI: 512- 446-5853 weekday mornings.
An ecumenical monthly men’s Christian fellowship breakfast is held from 7 until 8 a.m. each second Tuesday, the site rotating between several local churches.
Next breakfast will be Tuesday, March 11 at Apostolic Faith Church, 400 West Davilla. Purpose is Christian fellowship and all men of the area are invited, said Bill Avrett spokesperson.
RCS store volunteers
Rockdale Christian Services thrift store, Heavenly Treasures, serving the needy at 233 North Main Street, is staffed with volunteers from RCS member churches. Assignments are:
March 6, St. John’s Methodist; March 7, Foster Ladies; March 11, Tuesday Volunteers; March 12, Guadalupanas; March 13, Peace Lutheran; March 14, First Presbyterian; March 18, Tuesday Volunteers; March 19, St. Joseph’s Catholic; March 20, Mount Zion Baptist; March 21, Grace Lutheran; March 25, Tuesday Volunteers; March 26, Full Gospel Chapel; March 27, Meadowbrook; March 28, Cowboy Church.—Judy Brown, volunteer chair