10-20-40-100 YEARS AGO
100 YEARS AGO....
In a letter to the editor, W. H. Farmer charged that his landlord was assessing him $2 extra per acre in rent because Farmer had voted for the recent “good road” bond issue.
The Rockdale school board and city council, acting jointly, said $25,000 was being set aside for construction of a new high school.
John Pappas announced he had purchased the former Sanders Pool Hall— pool halls were outlawed by a countywide vote—and planned to open the Olympia Cafe, a Greek restaurant.
Austin boosters, 200 strong, visited Rockdale and brought their own brass band. FORTY YEARS AGO....
Supt. J. M. Moorman was retiring after a 42-year career in education, the last 19 as superintendent of the Rockdale ISD.
The Moody Foundation of Galveston awarded a $25,000 grant to Rockdale’s new Richards Memorial Hospital.
Milam County Commissioners okayed $14-million in anti-pollution bonds, to be paid for by Alcoa.
Darnell Leggett was medalist at the Women’s Golf Association tournament held at the Rockdale Country Club. TWENTY YEARS AGO....
Two downpours failed to dampen the spirits of Jubilee Days participants. The “reborn” observance added more events in a quest to become a “summertime Fair.”
Guy Nelson, assistant superintendent of the Fritch-Sanford ISD, was named new superintendent in Milano, replacing Ted Hubert.
The Rockdale City Council had scheduled a public hearing on its new, higher, water rates.
A crowd of 250 came to the KC Hall for the annual Rockdale Homecoming. A display commemorated the 50-year honor class of 1944. TEN YEARS AGO....
Rockdale’s 83-year-old former high school and junior-high was having asbestos removed prior to demolition.
The new Community Advisory Panel to Alcoa (CAPARO) heard the comptroller of Alcoa’s Rockdale Operations give an optimistic report on the future of the smelter.
Rockdale ISD trustees projected no change in the current $1.4595 tax rate.
A committee investigating the possibility of a new county jail recommended a 107-bed, $6.4-million facility on the site of the old Newton Memorial Hospital in Cameron.