News
002p1_xlg.jpg
INFERNO This is the sight that greeted Rockdale Volunteer Fire Department members when they rolled up to a house fire call at 6:22 p.m. at a vacant home on County Road 315 south of Rockdale. Herbie Vaughan, RVFD president, said most of the vacant, 3,000-square-foot home was engulfed and volunteers concentrated on saving the structure's garage. "We were initially able to do that but the fire had gotten into particle board, which is very difficult to get out, and a rekindle later got the garage, too," he said. The house, known locally as the former Opal McCoy place, is owned by the Curtis Kornegay family. Vaughan said the blaze began in a den in the middle of the house and was probably electrical in nature. "We know there was a timer set to make a light go on and off," he said. "It could have shorted out and started the fire." RVFD was on the scene more than five hours. Reporter/Mike Brown 002p1_xlg.jpg
Click here for digital edition
2009-12-03 digital edition



The burn ban for Milam County has been lifted. Burning is always prohibited in the county's municipalities.


Click here to register for the 5 Kay!