ARLINGTON—Ronald Earl Laurence died Saturday, Aug. 4, 2018, and chose to donate his body for medical research to the University of North Texas Science Center Medical School.
A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 18, at North Davis Church of Christ, 1601 N. Davis Drive, Arlington. Visitation will be at the church following service.
Mr. Laurence was born in Houston on June 22, 1943, to Ernie and Lillian Laurence.
He was a 1961 graduate of Rockdale High School and earned an undergraduate degree from Baylor University in 1965 where he played football. He later received a master’s degree and administrative certification in education from Texas A&M-Commerce.
Mr. Laurence began coaching in the Spring Branch ISD in Houston and moved to Arlington in 1971 where he was a coach, teacher and administrator at Lamar High School.
He completed his coaching and teaching career at Arlington Martin High School where he also served as athletic coordinator, retiring in 2006, having spent a total of 41 years in education.
Mr. Laurence was a member of North Davis Church of Christ since 1971 and was active in teaching and sponsoring activities for the high school youth department for many years.
He also continued to coach his grandson’s recreational soccer team through the spring of 2018.
Mr. Laurence enjoyed golfing, fishing and attending his grandchildren’s activities and sporting events.
He was preceded in death by his father, his mother, and a sister, Charlotte Dymke.
Survivors are his wife of 53 years, Sharon Laurence; a son, Shawn Laurence (wife, Jennifer); a daughter, Sandi Wudtke (husband, Greg); his grandchildren, Jade Rankin (husband, Ryan), Shane Laurence, Mikaela Flowers (husband, Taylor), Paxton Waitman, Megan Waitman, and Alayna Bullock; his brothers, Donnie Laurence (wife, Lynne), Ernie Wayne Laurence (wife, Georgette); an aunt, Rose Heil (husband, Charlie); and many nieces, nephews, and cousins.
Memorials may be made to North Texas Humane Society, 1840 E. Lancaster Ave., Fort Worth, TX 76013, or Hearts and Hands, c/o of North Davis Church of Christ.